Saturday, July 29, 2006

You're Not Old Enough!

Today, I went down to Atlantic City to help out at the NJ Senior Games. I travelled down with a couple of guys from my club. As we got down into the the area near Long Beach Island area, there was a crane, and from it hung an American Flag. It reminded me of a similar crane displaying a similar flag in those very dark days in mid-September 2001. My belief in reasonable safety in my daily life had been rattled, and passing that crane hanging the flag by the new bridge they were constucting to carry US Route 9 over Raritan Bay did a lot for me.

The meet was quite nice, I'd have competed, but wasn't permitted. I'm still too young! The meet went well, and from an 11:00AM start, was done by 4:00 PM. I found myself working as an official on the field events.

On the trip home, one of my teammates commented, as we were passing through the pine barrens, that with areas like that, it's hard to believe that New Jersey has the highest population density of any state in the U.S. I then felt obligated to say, "and talking to some of the people, it's clear that we do have some of the densest people in America." My teammates seemed to enjoy the twisting of nuance that my statement provided.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home