Monday, November 06, 2006

A Few Images From My Day Working At NY City Marathon

What better to start a post about the NY City Marathon than a race banner?
As I crossed the park, I passed these tents being used for volunteers to sign in.
I shot a photo of this temporary pedestrian bridge by 72nd St. It would prove to be important in my day.
I also shot a picture of the finish line at about 8:30 AM.
This was the group which got sent over to Queens. Here were are in the subway, en route.
We were sent to Queens in order to help with the wheelchairs, getting them to follow the correct routing onto the 59th St. Bridge.
There were more runners with prosthetics than I recall in the past. I think this is at least in part the result of the Iraq War.
The race used SmartCars, a European built micro car that gets 40+ mpg, as lead vehicles. I always smile when I see them.
It also gave us an excellent view of the women's leaders. Here are Prokopcuka and Hladka.
This is the women's chase pack. It contains, amongst others, American Deena Kastor, and Kenyans Catherine "the Great" Ndereba, and Lornah Kiplagat.
Shortly behind them came Katie MacGregor and Amy Rudolph.
The men's leaders were still a pretty massive pack, though a move was about to be made on the bridge.
When we ceased to be useful, we returned to Central Park and were reassigned to the temporary pedestrian bridge at 72nd St. They were having trouble controlling traffic there.
I spent a fair amount of the afternoon watching the parade of finishers pass by, en route to the chip clippers and baggage trucks.
Oh, and Dianna, look what I got, an orange hat!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy Wayne! I'm proud of you, you did great work in helping others complete their dreams and protecting one fallen runner from getting kicked in the head! Happy trails, Bruce

November 07, 2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Awesome pictures and a hat to boot. thanks for sharing!!

November 09, 2006 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home