Thursday, October 19, 2006

Unwanted Neighbors


A few weeks back, I noticed some yellow jackets flying into a hole in my front yard. I expected to have to buy some poison and spray them with it. Then, a week or so later, I heard a report on NPR about yellow jackets. It pointed out that they're beneficial insects, and actually protected by law in Germany. (Un)Fortunately, this isn't Germany, so I can get rid of them. The NPR report had a method of destryoying them that was environmentally less impactful, pour a pint of alcohol into the hole and close the opening. I guess I'll be getting some yellow jackets drunk.

My son was very impressed with the photos I took. There are actually two of the yellow jackets in the photo, the one flying (though it's hard to tell) in the center of the shot, and a second sitting on the side of the hole. I shot these from a distance of about 4 feet using flash in the late afternoon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Ahhh, run for your life!!
I admire you for getting close enough to the hole to pour alcohol into it. Your my hero.

October 19, 2006 9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home