Monday, April 23, 2007

Good-Bye, Mr. Halberstam

I just read of the passing of one of my favorite writers, David Halberstam. While I was aware of him as a journalist during the Viet Nam era, my love of his writing really grew during the 1980's and later when he was working as an author, especially of some very fine sports books. During the mid-1980's, I was dating a rower, and his book, The Amateurs, came out. She loaned it to me, and I became a fan of his. A few years later, I read his Summer of '49, and became an even bigger fan. It also brought me up to speed on some Red Sox lore that I, having grown up in the NY metro area hadn't known. This year, I read his The Teammates, the story of four guys from that era and their friendship of many decades.
This was the article on his passing. As I wrote this, I checked Wikipedia, it was already updated with his death. The power of distributed writing is pretty remarkable.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home