Saturday, February 13, 2010

Olympiad

Last night, as the Olympic Games began, I was at my running club's annual banquet. I did not see the torch getting lit (and what I now understand was its malfunction). The Georgian luger who was killed came up briefly in conversation.
After I walked in with my camera, I got tagged with the official photographer designation. One of my personal highlights is the annual hall of fame induction. Because my club is now 75 years old (unless it's 76 or 77, there's some debate), it was also a special year. Likely the biggest name inducted was high jumper Milton Goode, a 1984 Olympian, and the other big name was Curt Clausen, a racewalker who competed in 3 Olympics (1996, 2000, and 2004) and captured a bronze at the world's in the 50km in 1999. Another inductee was a man who'd run the first New York City Marathon (and is still out there banging it out 40 years later!).
I shot a couple of hundred photos, and will post them on the club's blog.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger greentigress said...

Cool that people will be seeing your photo's - have you done this sort of thing before?

February 14, 2010 9:32 AM  
Blogger robison52 said...

What camera do you use? Someday I must get a better camera than the throw-away cameras from WalMart! I'm jealous of all those who post fantastic photos on their blogs.

February 14, 2010 11:53 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Bruce,
I use a Canon EOS 30D - a digital SLR that's a few years old. My suggestion of a "starter" digital camera is to buy a brand name camera in the $100-$150 range. Before you buy, think about zoom you're likely to want - the norm is about 3x, but you can get up to 10x in the point and shoots. I'm a fan of Olympus in this range as they seem to offer better value than Canon or Nikon.

February 16, 2010 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home