Sunday, March 06, 2005

Houston, we have a problem!

After running a fairly fast half-marathon last Sunday, I had knee pain. It was mostly on top of the knee and seemed to affect the front of the knee cap when the leg was bent. I spoke to a top area runner, who's a friend of mine, a running shop owner, and an exercise physiologist. He promptly diagnosed it as tendonitis. This is both a good and a bad thing.

Tendonitis, because it's a "harder tissue" injury tends to heal slower than soft tissue. Also, my plantar fasciitis is a version of tendonitis, so unfortunately, I'm learning a lot about this condition. I spoke to several runners about it this week. Most indicated that this can be a chronic condition, but can be trained through. Use of ice and anti-inflammatories was widely recommended. I'm anti-anti-inflammatory (Now, that's an ugly construction!) , so for me that means ice. After running only twice during the work week, I ran almost 7 yesterday, and after about 2 hours of on and off icing, I awoke today to a knee that had only a tinge of "off" sensation.

The plan is now to take a long run today of 15+ miles. If the discomfort can be controlled, then I'll feel pretty comfortable that I can return to my training level.

I spent a lot of my run yesterday thinking about how this injury likely came about. As a result of paying attention while on the treadmill earlier in the week, I realized that I torque my right toes inward when running faster and think it may relate a little to controlling speed. Two weeks ago, I hammered a big downhill, trying to catch two "runners" (I later realized they were on bikes, but the hill was steep and curvy enough that this took a while). During the week following, I had some stiffness in the knee, but it was non-specific, arose late in runs, (perhaps 5 miles in) and involved no pain. Then, to pre-warm prior to an outdoor run, I jumped on a stair climber at my gym the day before the half. I think this stressed the already sensitized tendons. Then, the half-marathon finished the job.

So, I feel pretty good that this injury, which could be chronic, is going to be pretty controllable and should not seriously impact my marathon plan for this spring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home