Monday, February 13, 2006

Skiing, Finally!

This morning I skiied about 2 miles (3 km). I was setting track at my local park. It was fairly hard work, and the snow was very unslippery (if that's a word). It tended to want to grab my skis and hold me where I was. It was a very strange sensation. I guess maybe I will need to learn a bit more about wax and how to use it. My skis have a fish scale bottom, but the old-timers tell you that waxing a waxless ski in some conditions can make a world of difference. Now, I'll have to try to learn the secrets of the different colors and of klister.

My second time around the loop was much easier than the first. The park was being used as the meeting ground for dogs, and there were about a dozen around, ranging from a beagle to a dog named, "Tank," whose name pretty well described his bulk. Some of them barked or chased me for a bit, but all were generally well mannered [though were I dogphobic {caninophobic?), I'd have been in bad shape]. The dogs were bounding around a circle of humanity, and as I passed the second time, I said something like, "There were some good tracks here when I left last time." Since the dogs had eliminated the tracks, the owners laughed. I guess the parks are for dogs, too. (Though some owners seem to feel no sense of obligation to remove their dog's land mines from the park...and these owners were certainly violating the park's leash rules, though I had no real issue with it.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home