Monday, April 03, 2006

Fire In The Belly and Some Odds and Ends

Ah yes, there's fire in the belly. The belly of my calf muscles. Yesterday's long run made them pay a heavy price - nothing too severe, but it'll be a few days until this passes. Added to the soreness that had just ended from Wednesday night's track time, I'll be spending a week with soreness in the legs. It's something I should probably have most of the time - stress and recover, and I've probably been a bit lax about applying sufficient stress.

One of the stresses that I applied yesterday was pushing a bicycle. Mike's comment on my post of yesterday reminded me that I'd done this. As I was returning from running over the ridge north of my house, I came upon a cyclist on a recumbent bike. He was out for his first real long ride of the season and had been stopped by a long shallow hill. When I first saw him up the road, I thought he was an adult on a kid's BMX bike, but as I got closer, he got off for a break and a drink. I said, "It's embarassing when the runner beats the biker." He made some kind of good-natured reply and was getting back on as I passed him. I decided to help him and turned around to get behind him and push him up the rest of the hill. As I was doing this, I was passed by another runner going the same way. As I pushed, I remarked that he was a bit older then the 7 year-old I often push. I pushed him to the crest of the hill, where gravity would give him an edge. He thanked me and rolled ahead. As we were descending the hill, yet another runner was climbing the other way, making four non-motorized travellers on this stretch of roadway. I commented to the facing runner that we had a regular traffic jam there.

I'm unsure of my distance yesterday, nor do I really care. It was a good workout, totalling about 3 hours and it will be my last before Boston. I'd told my son that he rode about five miles, but in retrospect, I think it was more, making my run probably somewhere between 18 and 20. I ran my 35 minute loop this morning, and on the beat legs, it only took 38 minutes, but isn't easy effort what recovery days are about?

1 Comments:

Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Hi Scooter,

E-mail me your mailing address and I'll pop something in snail mail for you. vince@vanishingtattoo.com

And speaking of stoking a few fires - your Blog last Friday got me up on the Blog pulpit for a little "Brimstone Sermon".

http://vanishingtattoo.blogspot.com/2006/04/honest-mile.html

What temperatures have you been training in? Here on the Wet Coast up in Canada we're happy with anything around fifty degrees and not too much rain...

April 04, 2006 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home