Monday, May 15, 2006

Bad Behavior

One evening last week, I was crossing the road by our town's track. An SUV turned out of a nearby parking lot and zips past me and my son. Without thinking, I kicked the vehicle. Its driver quickly hit the brakes. His window went down. Out the window came a shout, "What was that about?" "You stop for pedestrians in a crosswalk," I responded. "What are you, retarded?," came his reply. "Maybe so," I responded as I continued across the road. This all happened in front of a fairly significant crowd. It appeared that he pulled over and checked for damage, then left.

In retrospect, since I was with my son, had the driver done anything rash, I'd likely put both of us in danger. It was probably not the best choice of actions on my part, but my years of running have taught me to vigorously defend my space, and my action was done nearly automatically.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Oh my, my husband does this when we are driving. It drives me insane. I swear someone is going to beat him up one day.
I do think you were justified though, you are a pedestrian and that guy should've been more careful. I would've told him the thump was him hitting me.
PS. JK just stands for "just keep" my name is....
Brooke

May 15, 2006 2:50 PM  
Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! Yes, I recall where you once hit a car with your fist one time too...you do have a temper! Be careful, out here in the West they shoot first and ask questions later.
Happy trails, Bruce

May 15, 2006 9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home