Thursday, May 11, 2006

Negating A Workout

The marketing of products like Gatorade and PowerBars works a bit too well. While I mention those two brands, I identify them them simply because they are the market leaders. There are many other brands of energy bars and beverages. Yesterday, one of the trainers at my gym commented as I was drinking liberally from a water cooler that he wished it was full of Gatorade. I remarked that for most people at the gym, it would be inappropriate.

A conversation ensued, with both of us agreeing that for many people, these energy products are inappropriate and misused. Products of this type were developed to be high-energy, low-bulk products aimed at endurance athletes participating in long duration events. (There are now some recovery products, which are a different class of product, but similarly open to incorrect use.)

Simply put, if your goal is weight management (or weight loss) and you are not exercising for an hour or more, you are at no risk of burning you body's stored supply of sugars. Thus, replacing sugars simply replaces the calories just burned by exercise. What's worse, it does so with empty calories (calories that are largely devoid of nutrition).

So, use these products as they were intended, eat and drink wisely after exercise, and you won't negate the effects of your exercise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like your point here and I totally agree. Do you mind if I link to this page of your blog from my Weight Loss Tips section?

Jesslyn

May 11, 2006 9:52 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Jess,
Please feel free to do so at any time and with any page. Should you wish to republish something, please send me an e-mail, I'd like it to be attributed and we'll discuss how to do that within appropriate policies and desires.
Wayne

May 11, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Great points. Personally, I am not a gatorade or power bar fan. I do like my protein shakes though.

May 11, 2006 7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home