Monday, May 22, 2006

Depth of Knowledge

Recently, I've been giving some thought to the issue of how knowledge about running moves. In many cases, we turn to books, but the thing they lack is interactivity. To me, it seems that being around other runners, especially at non-running times, makes a big difference.

For those of you who are fans of the sport of running and have read Chris Lear's excellent book, Running With The Buffaloes, you doubtless remember Chris "Sev" Severy. You were likely unaware that he was the first in a string of excellent young runners to come from his family. Here's an article on the next-to-last of this generation, his sister, Christy.

I know that many of you will look and say, there's something genetic in that family, and there's probably some truth there, but I also expect that Chris managed to pass along an awful lot of information in both direct and subtle ways to his siblings. Things like how to train, how to deal with injuries, and lots of weird little things, like how racing hard hurts, and that while it's uncomfortable, it doesn't really hurt you.

I believe that spending non-running time (and especially living with other runners) has a meaningful impact on your likelihood of success in running. One of the unfortunate things in sport today is that we seem more and more to prize the spectacular sports, rather than the mundane. I understand what it feels like when a runner rigs* and just can't move well anymore. You can see runners at almost any track meet start too fast and then tie up. The lead they may have built is suddenly disappearing with every stride, while they try, with varying degrees of success, to keep their body moving in the manner they desire. To me, watching them struggle as the competition works to overtake them is one of the greatest pieces of drama you can see anywhere.

*Rig is the current term for what used to be called tying up. It apparently comes from the term "rigor mortis", the stiffening of muscles after death. It's also referred to as "carrying the piano" or "the gorilla (or other beast) jumped on his back."

3 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

You make a lot of really good points in your post. Both my husband and I are runners and my 2 girls are already asking us about the sport. I don't know if they will possess what it takes to reach "running greatness" but I hope that they at least develop a love of the sport.

May 23, 2006 10:47 AM  
Blogger Jess said...

I just came across your blog -- through a series of other blogs. Like what I see. My dog's name is Scooter.

May 23, 2006 2:42 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

First, Scooter Libby, now Jess' dog...maybe I should rethink my alias!

May 24, 2006 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home