Friday, May 19, 2006

Crushed 'Em

On Wednesday evening, at practice, I found myself running the second leg of a 4x100 relay. A body was needed, so I filled the spot. I was running the second leg. I found myself in the unfortunate position of receiving the baton last. Oh, and since I was dressed in casual business attire, I'd pulled off my shoes and socks and was doing my 100 with bare feet on the Mondo and wearing long pants.

On getting the baton, off I go. I change the stick from left hand to right. I pay attention to driving hard with the legs and lifting the knees. As the distance passed under my feet, I moved from last, to fourth, then third, second and first. My baton was the first one passed. I simply crushed my competition. I know it sounds unrealistic and some of you are expecting the wavy image and then seeing me wake up from a dream. I assure you it's true, it really happened.

Of course, those of you who know me know that I coach kids. My competition was just shy of four decades younger than I am. They were second and third graders. When I run with the kids, I try to do the same things we ask of them. So, if we say, "run hard," then I run hard. I figure it's setting an example. The reason I found myself running this was that one child had needed to go to the bathroom. When the runners are dashing around the track and nobody's in one of the lanes, something needs to be done. That's how I found myself in this situation. Afterwards, I had mixed feelings, should I have gone so hard? I'm not sure, though I suspect that my teammates, some of whom were noticably smaller than many of their competitors, had no doubt.

I should also point out that this came with a price. My plantar fasciitis in my right foot came up a bit after this. It seems to be improving rapidly, but as with most things, this had a price.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home