Monday, May 15, 2006

Honey, We're Killing The Kids!

Tonight, I made it a point to watch this new show, Honey, We're Killing The Kids!, on TLC. I'd seen promos for it for a couple of months. The show is excellent, if perhaps a bit unrealistic for many people. My objection to it really stems more from how they choose to format the makeover, rather than anything seriously wrong with the basis.

In the show I saw tonight, the Darnell family was being made over. Their children, a girl and a boy, ages 11 and 9 respectively, were overweight, spoiled, and fairly out of control. Dr. Lisa Hark, the "star" of the show, began by delivering an age progression of the kids to age 40. (I put star in parentheses because while she delivers the lessons, the emphasis is clearly on the family.) The parents were very clearly disturbed by this.

I have to give great credit to the parents in this episode, they made changes that were perhaps greater than the kids. The mother stopped smoking, the dad decided to begin making a career change. They also put up with a fair amount of pain delivered by the kids, but did not buckle under that pressure. The kids got into line and seemed to be pretty happy with where their bodies were going.

The show ended with a revised age progression with the kids winding up as normal weight adults. My objection to the show stems from the fact that the change took place in a three week period. That kind of time frame is too short for changes to become habit, so I'm not very confident that the subjects will continue to live the healthy lifestyle they adopted. The lessons were clear, simple and understandable. I'd give the show a B+.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

How interesting, I am going to look up that show.

May 16, 2006 11:20 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I saw this show last night. It was somewhat interesting. I'd be interested to see if these families keep up what they have learned. It's difficult to change a lifetime of bad habits in 3 weeks.

May 23, 2006 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home