Sunday, July 09, 2006

Snapshots of the Utica Boilermaker

If anyone wants to feel like a rock star for being a runner, you need only go to Utica, NY to run in the Utica Boilermaker 15K race. When I ran it for the first time three years ago, I had tears well up at one point because of the efforts of the Uticans. If you run it, you won't be disappointed...and the post-race party isn't too bad either.

A few of my favorite moments from this year included:

The Hall of Fame Induction:
Each year, with the possible exception of Olympic years, the National Distance Running Hall of Fame holds their induction. This year (2006), the inductees were: Gerry Lindgren, Marty Liquori and Patti Catalano Dillon. The George Sheehan Award was given to Roger Robinson, a Kiwi, and one of running's most eloquent writers. Also at the ceremony were several Hall members including: Ted Corbitt, Nina Kuscsik, Bill Rodgers, Katherine Switzer, and Frank Shorter. In addition, the Hanson's team was there in force. This event is held in Utica's Stanley Theater, a magnificently restored movie palace.

A Dinner Recommendation:
Following the Hall of Fame Induction, I figured to follow the advice of Rachael Ray, and ask a local for a suggestion of where to eat. As we exited the theater, I asked a guy moving the cars out front (GM is a primary sponsor of the race) if he was from Utica, his reply was, "No, but I think this guy is." He was wearing a race commitee shirt. We described what we wanted, and he and his wife suggested a place called Grimaldi's. It was a very nice meal, and very reasonably priced in an old-fashioned restaurant environment. In the course of the conversation, I also expressed how special the Boilermaker is to me. When we got back to the motel, I looked up who this guy was in the race management, it turned out that he was the #2 guy overall. That made me especially glad that I'd voiced my love for this race.

A Wonderful Shirt:
As I was running through the golf course, approaching the four-mile mark, I saw a man wearing a hand-written shirt that said something like this:
The most important women in my life:
1) My wife
2) My daughter
3) Sara Nac
*order may vary depending on conditions
(a word of explanation may be in order - the beer served at the post-race party is Saranac beer)

A Small Act of Bravery:
Around the five-mile mark, I was running in proximity of a wheelchair on a slight downhill section. (Those of you who don't know, the chairs, especially the conventional, non-racing ones are difficult to make climb, but descend quite well.) Anyway, there was a young man running in the path of the chair, wearing a walkman. The guy in the chair was calling out asking for right-of-way, but this fellow was, by virtue of the headphones, out of touch with his surroundings. There was a guy just off my left shoulder who sprinted a few strides and through physical contact was able to break into this guy's world and make him aware of the danger he was posing to himself and the guy in the chair. His efforts shouldn't have been necessary, but that doesn't diminish the rightness of his act, putting himself and his race at some risk to take care of another racer.

A High-Five:
Around the six-mile mark, there's a short section of divided roadway. On the left side stood a young man of perhaps seven. His hand was out looking for the high-fives that many runners like to give kids. I bent my route a bit to be sure he got one. (On some other sections of the route, there are kids by the drove awaiting the high-fives. Here there was a solitary child.)

Encounter With A Legend:
Occasionally, throughout the race, a runner would appear on the fringes of the course. Most of the runners immediately recognized him as Bill Rodgers, the four-time winner of both New York and Boston, though I suspect many of the spectators had no clue who the old, blond guy was. At around the 10K mark, he was at my shoulder. I greeted him, and he responded with a "hey." It's a memory I'll cherish.

A Joke Appreciated:
At the post-race party, I was hanging with one of my buddies, and we'd been riding each other much of the day. As it came time to leave, I gave him a firm handshake and said, "Saying goodbye to you is alway a pleasure." He caught it, and really appreciated it, promptly repeating it to his girlfriend and the others in the group.

Once again, I'd like to express my thanks to the race management and the City and people of Utica and the surrounding area for making me feel special as a runner.

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! Great report!! What a fun time. Makes me wish I was there too.
Happy trails, Bruce

July 10, 2006 3:09 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I love that shirt you saw. Hmmm, maybe I can make one with Sam Adams being in my top tier.

July 10, 2006 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home