Sunday, July 23, 2006

Imbalance

Over the last several days, I've been trying to do things amidst scratching my poison ivy and battling the fatigue that the constant oozing from the wounds it's created. This morning, I got out for my first run in 3 days. I'd simply lost the desire to run.

Today, I was back. I did about 50 minutes, probably about 6 miles. My right foot was whining a bit, so the lacrosse ball came out. I keep trying to balance exfoliating injured skin and not causing additional injury by scratching. It's not easy, nor comfortable. Also, I try to use the shower to debride the more serious wounds. That usually entails scrubbing out the hardened ooze in order to let the skin get some air and hopefully thin the crust. I can tell that progress is being made, but it seems awfully slow.

Meantime, this morning, about 1/3 through my run, I heard the tick, tick of footseps behind me. It proved to be a man who had a few years on me who is prepping for the New York Marathon (I guess maybe I should do the proper kiss-up thing and say, ING New York City Marathon). In the few minutes we talked, he told me that he was a hockey player and mountain biker and was struggling with fitting in his marathon work. He seemed strong and his leg turnover was really good. I'd guess that he was about 7 or 8 years older than I am, and his conditioning seemed remarkable. I didn't get his name, so I probably won't be able to ID him in the results.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

I can only imagine what crimes we must have committed in a previous lifetime, scooter.

Get well.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

July 23, 2006 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home