Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Big Race

Last night, my son and I ran in the big 5K in my town. Along with being a race, it's a big social event in the local running community.

The nicest thing I saw last night was a very subtle thing. We had a kid from my town make the Footlocker National Cross-Country Chanpionship. He was the top finisher from town, and was recognized for it. The woman who is head coach of the kid's program I coach with had commented how wrong it is that she's more recognized in the local running community than he is. Last night at least did something to help correct that.

I figured to run about a 22:00 and that my son would run about 28:30. He finished right on schedule, while I was about a minute and a quarter slow. I blame a part of my slowness on starting (partly at my son's insistence) too far back, but I think I was still a tad slower than I should have been. The other kid's coach slipped in just under 20:00, while her son, a rival of my son, finished about 4 minutes behind him. The local sports reporter put in a race he was proud of, running a 19:40. Several others of the kid's program also ran, most posting very solid performances.

Festivities continued until about nine o'clock. It was a very nice event which provided entertainment for many, exercise for some, and some very pleasant diversion. The local restaurants seemed to be full, despite the traffic/parking difficulties posed by 1500 runners being in town.

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! What did you do that night to remedy for him? Sounds like a huge race, I can't imagine running with 1,500 5k racers! I could see starting too far back in that crowd could be devastating to your performance. Happy trails, Bruce

July 27, 2006 1:03 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

congrats to you and your son. 1500 racers, that's awesome.

July 28, 2006 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home