Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Teaching My Son To Bike

I'm going to relate here how I taught my son to ride a bike. I see the process of learning to bike in two parts: 1) development of sufficient leg strength to be able to pedal and 2) development of balance. In order to work on the first, a bicycle with training wheels is fine. Once your child can pedal around comfortably they are ready for phase two, a pedalless bike.

I posted a while back a picture of a German pedalless like called a Laufrad (in German, Lauf = run and Rad = wheel, so the term translates to "running wheel"), which is how German kids learn to ride. Rather than looking for a Laufrad, make a pedalless bike by removing the pedals.

The Laufrad, a German learning bicycle which has no pedals.


To remove the pedals, the right pedal comes off normally, but the left one if reverse threaded, in order to keep it from loosening while being ridden. (The old righty - tighty rule is reversed on this pedal.) Keep the pedals handy, you'll need them in 4 or 6 weeks. When you're ready to reinstall, make sure you check which pedal is which (one or both is usually marked to identify sides) before installing.

Have your child ride by pushing the bike and gliding. Then, once they've developed a sense of balance, generally just a few weeks, put the pedals on. They will be riding in an hour or less.

This post was written for JK Running, who has a child struggling with learning to bike.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger ◈lunaluna◈ said...

Your blog is very interesting!
Please, send me the photo of your pc desk.
I'll publish on my blog!.
And if you want I can link your blog on mine!

EMAIL: pcdesktop1@gmail.com

June 13, 2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

Nice post, and just in time! Our daughter has outgrown her small (12" wheel) bike and moved on to a 16" wheel model. I'll try taking the pedals off the old one and letting her get the hang of balancing before selling it. Thanks for the idea.

June 13, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger Curro Ergo Sum said...

Awesome. I had to buy my daughter a bike w/o training wheels since I couldn't find and 18" with them. This will be good. Hell, I may take mine off and scoot around with her!

June 13, 2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Thanks for the awesome suggestion Scooter. We are going to try it for sure.

June 14, 2007 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home