Friday, June 29, 2007

Telling It Like It Is

I went to one of the area parks early one morning this week, I saw a friend of mine, "Dixie", who walks 6 miles every morning. I gave him a wave, he hesitated a bit before waving back. Then, when he realized who I was, he gave me his standard "thumbs up." This man cares for his invalid wife and is sharp as a tack. I feel the need to say that because he's about to turn 90!
Once I finished with the hard part of my workout, I walked with him a bit. We chatted, and he was quick to accuse me of putting on 50! pounds. I told him it wasn't quite that bad, as depending on which "in shape" weight we compared to, since at the 180ish I thought I was at, I was up either 20 or 30 lbs. Now, his comment made me curious, so I got on the scale. My weight was only 172.5 lbs, so I've progressed about 4 more pounds in the last month or so.
I'm pleased with my progress, but in the heat the last couple of days, I was struggling to run. When I couldn't keep it up, I walked, and tried to walk with vigor ("vigah" to you Bostonians). Meantime, the humidity makes the "chub rub", as Mike calls it, much worse. Today, for a long walk, I put on unpadded bike shorts.
Be safe out there.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I had quite a problem with the "chub rub" myself when I first started getting back into shape. I was carrying 213 pounds at the time, and after the run portion of my first triathlon the insides of my quads were rubbed to a shiny pink hue. It's a good motivator though.

June 29, 2007 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home