Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Three More Miles On Skis

This morning, I got back to the park and skied three loops of about a mile each. Since I wasn't setting track, I was able to move a lot quicker. The snow had gotten slicker since yesterday. In most places I was able to glide easily in the tracks I'd made yesterday. There were a couple of places where the was some minor trouble. In one section, a pedestrian had walked in the tracks, punching out the bottom regularly and making it very easy to catch a tip or to twist off of the compressed snow under the skis. The other spot was an area where the wind had blown the snow cover thin and the melt resulted in just a thin glaze of ice over the grass. I traversed the ice on lap 1, then set a track a bit to the left for laps 2 and 3. I wish the walkers would not damage the tracks - I suspect they just don't understand the issues they cause and can understand how my tracks represent "shallower" snow to them.

The dogs were out again. Their area had been compressed well - it was the one area where a skate style skiier might be able to skate a few strokes. It struck me that their owners weren't getting much exercise out there. Doesn't the term "walking the dog" infer a degree of action? But they just stand around and chat. Maybe I should tease them tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home