Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Voyager Airplane at Sea-Tac Airport


Last weekend, I was watching a show on either History or Discovery channel about the Voyager plane that flew around the world without refueling. My son and his friend walked in and immediately began a round of "cool plane!" I mentioned that I had taken a picture of the plane while in Seattle a week prior.

The things that struck me about the effort were: 1) how flimsy the plane was - during takeoff, the winglets at the end of the wing virtually rubbed off during takeoff, 2) the level of faith required to take off - it was so underpowered that it couldn't stop once it had passed the halfway mark on the runway...and had it not made it, would have become a fireball at the end of the runway, 3) that Dick Rutan and his girlfriend, Gina Yeager, had spent 9 days inside this tiny thing, 4) how the flight nearly ended twice through near crashes.

The other thing that struck me was what a prolific designer/builder Dick Rutan was.

As the program ended, it sounded like the plane was at the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum, but I was pretty sure it was what I saw at Sea-Tac Airport. So, I'm uncertain if the situation had changed, if the airport has a duplicate, or if the show saw incorrect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home