Monday, February 20, 2006

Ya Gonna Be Ready?

I was asked that question at the gym one morning last week, and I had to be honest that I probably wasn't going to be as ready as I wanted. I just haven't been getting my long runs in at the level that I need, neither in volume nor in frequency. I don't want to dishonor the Boston Marathon. Frankly, I think I'm a bit depressed. I have some stresses at both home and job which I'm not coping with terribly well. I think like in training, an awful lot of stuff in life is just the act of putting one foot in front of the other.

Today, while checking Mike Salkowski's Running With Lydiard blog, a recent post included some advice from Nobby Hashizume, America's leading teacher of Lydiard's training methods. In it, Nobby says, "professional attitude means not to get discouraged when going gets tough; AND also controlling yourself well within yourself when things are going invincibly well." I'm afraid I'm in the former category, and my run at Boston could turn into a death march. I've been through them before (Marine Corps Marathon - 1990 & 1993), and I don't really want to go there again, especially not at Boston.

I have work to do to treat Boston in the manner it deserves. I've got to get to it...even if my feet whine and I have to live with 8 more weeks of fatigue from the pain.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Hey Scooter, as of course you know Lydiard was all about taking enough time for "ultimate preparation", but there are several examples of him getting his runners to do their best with what they had (be that time, conditions or geography). There is still time, and you can certainly make the most of it. Surely Boston is hallowed ground, but every runner who passes the test to get there deserves their shot. Keep the faith and listen to Nobby and Arthur, I think the positive energy really helps.

February 20, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Mike,
Thanks for the good wishes. Nobby will tell you that I credit Arthur with getting me to Boston. My run today went fairly well. I just need to buckle down.
Wayne

February 20, 2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

Keep the faith, Scooter. You have many people to whom you have offered much support and encouragement in the past all wishing you the very best.

And the best part of us sharing a beer is that the line between celebration and commiseration is a mercifully blurry one!

February 20, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger Vince Hemingson said...

See you in Boston, Buddy!

February 20, 2006 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home