Tuesday, February 28, 2006

A Speechless Pitchman

This past weekend, while watching TV, I saw a MasterCard Paypass commercial starring Meb Keflezighi, America's top male marathoner. (If you click that link, click "Marathon" to select the Meb commercial.) I immediately commented to my wife that most viewers of that commercial have no idea who they're seeing, and she agreed. I didn't push the question of whether she knew, but my son knew right away. Today, Runner's World Daily posted a link to it along with noting that it first aired during the Superbowl. It's nice to see that the MasterCard people are supporting a non-major sport.

I very much like Meb. When I heard him interviewed after his great race last fall at the ING* New York City Marathon, I was struck by his lack of intelligibility. (I hate saying this about him, as everything I've heard about him has been good.) I hope that along with doing his training, he will hook up with a speech coach. It will make him much more marketable to advertisers and allow him to better supplement his income. This commercial does not require Meb to speak, but if he keeps running as he has recently, the time will come where he will need to speak better.

As a runner, I look at the commercial and have to say that the drink was right on, the magazine a bit goofy, and the movie (and Goobers) just ridiculous. I think the ad was cute, but could have been a bit closer to the truth...sports drink, gummi candy for energy, and a beer for post-race celebration would have been the choices I'd have made. (I don't know if Meb would OK the idea of a beer, but it's what I'll put out there as my concept.)

For any of you who may not be aware, Meb and his family escaped from Eritrea's civil war. Making their way first to Italy, then to southern California while Meb was in his early teens(?). His Italian experience allowed him to converse with Italian marathoner Stefano Baldini during the Olympic Marathon, where Baldini took gold, Meb took silver and de Lima of Brazil held on for bronze after being tackled by a crazy priest.

*I am trying to support those who support our sport by naming the title sponsor. I hope others commenting on our sport will recognize those who support it. By doing that, the advertisers get additional bang for the buck and it increases the likelihood they keep supporting our sport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home