Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Feelin' Good

I did my 55 minute loop today and on the outbound leg was feeling a bit beat up and in sort of a whiney mood. For some reason as I turned, I decided to suck it up and try to get the legs turning quicker.

I don't know if that kind of thinking changed things, but very shortly, a bug flew into my left eye. I could see it, but couldn't find it to get it out. I poked, prodded, and pulled eyelashes as I ran. After a few hundred yards, I saw a woman walking and a man a bit ahead of her. I debated stopping and asking her to look at my eye to see if the bug was still in it. I decided against it.

I don't know if the bug helped change my mood, but as I passed the guy, he shouted something like, "You're running well!" I gave him a wave and kept grinding it out, now pumped by his cheering. As I was running, I heard the tick, tick, tick of crisp footstrikes on the pavement. Suddenly, it was one of those golden moments that happen all too rarely.

I finished up the loop still feeling strong. I went to a mirror and saw what looked like either a very small ladybug (or part of a larger one) a few millimeters from the lower lash of my left eye. I had completed the 55 minute loop in 54 minutes - I've done it faster, but just 8 days after a marathon says I'm really on the road back.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Ugh, I can totally empathize with the stuff in the eye thing. I got dirt in my eye today and it was miserable.

April 25, 2006 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Last year I got a 'bug in the eye'. It hurt like hell; I could hardly open the eye all the way home.

Ever since I wear sun glasses on all runs; even when its cloudy (but not in the rain).

I still occasionally swallow a bug or two but thats not nearly as bad.

btw: Sounds like your recovery is going great!

Randy

April 25, 2006 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home