Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Harriers

I was recently asked to review a book, Harriers by Joseph and Paul Shivers. I agreed, with the understanding that I'd tell my true feelings, and the person making the request was ageeable to that, so here's the first book review in my blog.

As I began to read Harriers, my first reaction was "What have I gotten myself into?" The prose felt stilted and overly loaded with modifiers, reminding me of the Hardy Boys books I'd read in my youth. That feeling soon passed and I was drawn into a tale that was both enjoyable and even somewhat informative to me, a 30+ year running veteran.

I don't want to give much of the story away, but were it not presented as being true, I'd have thought it was fiction. Some of the stories related in the book are unbeliveable. Once you're into it, you'll be hooked, too. You'll ride the roller coaster that was these boys' high school cross-country careers, and like a real rollercoaster, some parts will have made you feel sick, but you'll have loved the ride.

Some key points made well in the book are that cross-country is a team sport, and why running as a pack is usually beneficial (this was a point that was an education to me, having run cross-country on a mediocre team).

While the book is generally solidly written, there are mistakes; an error in reporting scores, occasional incorrect word choices, and so forth. Nothing huge, but distracting to an attentive reader and things that a good proofreading should have corrected. I'd have also liked to know who is who in the cover photograph. (I'm assuming, since some descriptions fit, that this is the actual Salem team.) I hope that this book is reprinted, as it deserves to be, and that these points can be corrected.

This story is set in northeastern Ohio. A rust belt region that has suffered in the face of jobs being lost to overseas manufacturers. The book carries a VERY low cover price ($5.99), and the book's website seems to imply that this was done to make it more accessible to students. Still, I found it disturbing that the book was printed in India, instead of in the U.S.A., where its production would have employed Americans, rather than Indians. I think a higher cover price would have had two benefits for the publisher and authors: it would have created the perception that the book is quality (it is, but I feel the low cover price erodes that perception) and it would have allowed sufficient margin to permit Harriers to be sold in running specialty stores.

I'm in no position to judge whether a non-fan of running would find this book of interest. What I can say for sure is that this running fan found the book, despite its flaws, to be a very pleasant and engrossing read. I'm sure it would prove both informative and enjoyable to high school harriers, their parents and many runners.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

I'm reading this book right now and I'm also enjoying it, though your comments about some of the stilted language and and forced symbolism early on is on the mark, and was a bit frustrating at first. I probably shouldn't critique language with a sentence that looks like that last one did though!

As far as the low cover price goes, when I discussed that I was ordering the book and it was only $6, my workout partner asked me to order him one too, which probably wouldn't have happened at $19.95. The gallery I work at has looked into printing our books in the U.S.A. instead of abroad, but it does cost about 3 times as much for smaller editions.

I think the low cover price could work in their favor, especially if their word of mouth campaign catches on. I'm rooting for them, it takes real courage to put words on the page for all to see.

August 23, 2006 7:31 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

But Mike, at $10.95 or thereabouts, would you guys have still gone for two? I bet your answer was at least probably.

August 23, 2006 9:17 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Online, yes. In store...no. I knew how many pages it was and all, but when I pulled them out of the packaging I was surprised how small the books were! Still not finished though, so maybe not small enough.

August 24, 2006 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home