Monday, September 11, 2006

A (Good) Crazy Day

Yesterday, I left my house a bit before 7 AM to go help out at the USATF National 40 km Racewalk Championship. I ran a bit at the walk, checking with the judges if the had any "cards" on athletes. I interrupted that to run the annual 10 km road race in the town I grew up in. I got to hang with one of my high school teammates and his brother. Then, I got drafted by the folks who organize the race to shoot the award winners (with their camera), so these were mostly my shots. Thank heavens for automated cameras, as I could not see what I was doing for much of the early part of the shooting.

I'd been told that it was a new camera, and I was pretty astonished at how bad it seemed to be. As I was checklisting things that would be wrong between shots, I settled on one probable source of trouble, my glasses. Sure enough, when I cleaned the lens behind the viewfinder, my perception of the quality of the camera went up tremendously. I had dried sweat caked on the lenses of my glasses!

On finishing that duty, I returned to the 40K and did what more I could to help out. I needed to leave during the awards ceremony to attend a social function. The walk had started at 8:00AM, and most walkers finished between noon and 1:30...well, actually, most finished ahead of that, as the race accomodates those who wish to go shorter distances, like 10, 20 or 30 km as well. That willingness to accomodate the racers was part of the reason for the lateness of the awards. A few racers continued to the 50 km mark, including one who apparently set an American record for her age group, I think it was the 65-69's. One of four believed to have been set at the event.

On arriving home, I jumped in the shower and we headed to a barbeque at the home of one of my son's classmates who will be returning to Australia in a couple of weeks. I had a wonderful time there. On arriving home, I pretty much collapsed into bed.

2 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Howdy! I couldn't download your pictures, PLUS, my Norton blocked an attempted worm intrusion from the site. YIKES! Happy trails, Bruce

September 11, 2006 5:32 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Bruce,
The two were probably related, but you may have gotten a password request, I found that just by hitting enter, it went in - I think Norton may have stopped a loader utility or somesuch, I'm pretty sure the site is OK.

September 11, 2006 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home