Saturday, August 26, 2006

An Elegant Product

A few weeks back, I'd taken my son to a camp activity and went to the cafe in a Wegman's market. I got a coffee, and was delighted to find it topped with a simple solution to an age-old problem.

When the cup was given to me, I glanced down at the cup in order to line up the drinking hole with my mouth. I did a double-take - there was no drinking hole. Another glance drew my attention to a raised bump and by sliding it sideways, the drinking hole opened.

The nuances to this simple product were even greater. If you look closely at the closed drinking hole, you'll see a slight dome. It struck me that that dome locks the inner lid in place if coffee is pressing against it. I'm sure this lid costs double a normal lid, but that extra penny can save a lot of hassle if the cup topples inside your car or on your desk.

OK, so call me a design geek. This is good design. It virtually eliminates spillage (at least when closed), and this is a significant advantage over a conventional lid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home