Monday, August 04, 2008

29:59 and Happy!

When I was in reasonable shape, I would have been slightly disappointed to run a 4 mile in that kind of time. Tonight, I ran a 5K in that time and am happy. That's what lack of conditioning will do for you. My son beat me by over 3 minutes, that's mostly the innate conditioning of being 9 years old.
I saw a guy I'd known for years, and his son, who sports a mane of bright orange hair, is now fifteen. I mentioned to him that I remembered his son when he was my son's size.
On Saturday, my son and I ran with one of the area clubs on a canal tow path. He ran about 5K before the lump of raisin bread hardened into concrete in his beely and made running hard. So, we did a mix of running and walking back to the start. We covered about 10K (me, a bit under 6 miles), but it was a good workout. The legs were a bit soft for a day. My wind is the limiting factor.
In tonight's race (and I use that term loosely), I wound up with another guy beside me for most of the last lap. He was pulling me along, and I was doing the "bail out, no don't" routine. I thought back to the lesson I got from Arthur Lydiard, which was "keep fighting, you never know when your competition will break." He didn't, I didn't, but I got my time, and I think he reached a bit deeper than he otherwise would have. The result was a bit anticlimactic, my opponent didn't cross the line, he hadn't signed up for the race, so I got the placing, but there wasn't the need to reach down and struggle to lift the knees to finish better than he did. He was a great runner in his day, so I knew it wouldn't be easy if it came to that, but it didn't.
Anyway, it was my first time this season under 30, so I'm happy.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Congrats on getting under 30 for the first time this season! Also, you didn't bail out and gutted it out that shows the strength of your character. Keep up the great work.

August 06, 2008 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home