Monday, July 14, 2008

Finest Runner's Forum Ever

I spent Saturday morning driving up to Utica, NY to attend the Boilermaker Race. I ran the 5K because I am not in shape for a 15K. When I arrived, I went over to the runner's forum. The discussion was superb and quite nuanced. How's this for a panel?
Running writer Roger Robinson, his wife and first woman to run Boston with a number Kathrine Switzer, 1972 Olympic Marathon winner Frank Shorter, four-time Boston and New York winner Bill Rodgers supplemented by a local dietician and a chiropractor.
The thing that made this forum special was the willingness to have ALL the experts answer each question, rather than having a single answer. The result was a nuanced and rich forum that gave deep answers to the questions. I felt it was the best forum I'd ever attended.
One example of the richness of the discussion was Frank Shorter telling the story of being in Florida during the very early days of Gatorade. The take-away message from him was, "if electrolyte drinks taste good, that's likely a sign of your need for electrolytes."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

How did you do in the 5k, inquiring minds want to know!

Sounds like a fantastic forum, they really should film those discussions, it's like a closer and in depth view of our running legends.

The Lemon-Lime Gatorade always tastes like Margaritas to me, maybe that's a sign for me to get a tall one?

July 16, 2008 5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home