Thursday, October 02, 2008

A Disorienting Experience

Having run all my previous marathons in the United States, running my first outside the States, and coping with the change from miles to kilometers was a bit disorienting. The math we are accustomed to doing is different, and the way they give info also differs. I don't know if the availability of clocks is limited, but I am fairly accustomed to seeing a clock at most, if not all, miles. Now, to be fair, I was at times pretty near the maximum time allowed for getting around the course, so some may have been pulled to be relocated or simply shut down. I recall seeing one that had its battery die, so was up but non-operational. Of course, at the pace I was moving, a sundial would have been adequate.
Also, while it's normal to wear a watch, because I was dressed like the Johnny Hayes of 1908, a watch would have looked out of place. (OK, I may have been overplaying the role, I'll admit.) I'd gotten a pace chart, courtesy of Running Room for a 6 hour pace. I fell a bit behind, and had actually intended on a 5:45 finish time, but they didn't have. Regardless, it gave me a pacing of 8:31 per km, which was enough to keep me mostly on track.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger robison52 said...

Congrats on finishing you marathon dressed like Johnny Hayes, though wearing a Garmin might have helped you with your pace...even if Hayes wouldn't even have a Timex! You are comical in filling your Hayes role and not wear a watch...you're such a diehard.

October 04, 2008 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home