Sunday, July 08, 2007

Utica Boilermaker

I ran 15K this morning, or more precisely, I ran most of 15K. My predicted time of 1:22 proved to be a bit ambitious. The big crowd and my slow time put me in the last, huge corral. One thing about the crowd management really dissappointed me. The race let people who hadn't moved into the corral start ahead of me. The result was that it took me more than 11½ minutes to get across the starting line.

Before the race, two things happened while in the corral. First, it was announced that New York Governor Elliott Spitzer was running in the 5K. When this announcement was completed, some wag near me bellowed, "Wuss!" A second thing that was going on was that the audio was cutting out pretty regularly during the announcements. As the trumpeter, David D??? was playing The Star-Spangled Banner, it kept cutting out. I was quietly singing along. As the music cut out, several of us started to sing a bit louder. The music probably went out five or six times during the anthem, and each time, the voices singing ratcheted up until by the end, the trumpet was just a tad louder than the voices. There was something nice about the way the runners honored the nation in light of the technical problems.

I ran the race pretty comfortably, posting times right around 10 minutes per mile pretty much throughout. Around mile two, there was a guy with something like "Milk was a bad choice" written on his back in marker. I asked what it was about, his initial response was, "It's from a movie." On further questioning, he revealed it was from Anchorman. Can anyone give the the set up? In the fifth mile, we passed the Utica Zoo, and a guy near me pulled out his camera to take a picture of the llama. I shout, get up there, I'll take your picture, and he handed me the camera. I took his picture, handed him the camera, and we were both on our way.

Around 10K, I was struggling a bit, but once I got some sugar (one of those freeze pops - the Kool-Aid in a baggie), I seemed to get back on track. I remember being startled as I passed 7 and 8 respectively. I was spending a lot of those miles trying to find kids to high-five me, but with surprisingly little success.

My final time was somewhere around 1:44:45, and with the delay at the start, I think my time was about 1:33.

Monday A.M. update: My times were pretty much on the mark. My chip time was 1:33:12 and my pace was 10:00/mile (exactly!).

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger runningDeb said...

I crossed the start line at 7 minutes after the official start. I was in your corral and finished in 1:33 also. Wayne we were running together and didn't know it. I could have used some support in that last mile.

July 09, 2007 6:55 AM  
Blogger robison52 said...

Nice to see you back in the saddle with a nice comfortable training race! Keep up the great work.

July 12, 2007 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home