Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Rock Wall, Quick!

On Monday morning, I got a phone call, can you come in at eleven and work the rock wall for 2 hours. It was for a girl's group activity, scheduled long before, but accidentally left unstaffed. The girls ranged in age from about six or seven up to high school. Things went well until one girl panicked. She started crying and froze on the wall. It's not really a big deal, but she was being belayed by a fairly inexperienced belayer. I told the belayer to crouch down, but rather than just crouching, with the effect of lifting the girl slightly, unloading her arms and letting her know she was being held by the rope, she played out rope as she sank down, yielding no effect.
Since my climber was down, I was able to walk over and grab the girl by the hips, tell her that I had her and she she was OK, she then let go of the wall and was lowered down. Truly no big deal, but a harder experience than necessary because it was not brought to an end as quickly as possible. It bothers me when problems aren't handled effectively.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home